Current Job Openings
Telecommunication Technician II
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Position Reports to: Director of Technical Operations
Job Purpose Summary: Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining voice and data telecommunications network circuits and equipment.
Primary goals of this position are:
- Establishes voice and data networks by running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cables; installing cable management equipment; physically installing telecommunications and network equipment, PBX controllers, routers, switches, servers.
- Perform Move/Add/Change requests; service and maintain communications equipment by troubleshooting and repairing outages; testing remote access procedures; updating documentation. Ensures all work is completed and tested with the customer prior to leaving customer site.
- Can successfully complete basic communication system installations; review installation job documents including the Scope of Work, product manuals, and technical specifications; gathering equipment, supplies, materials, and tools required for system installations, assessing installation site; preparing an installation diagram; complete required installation documentation.
- Will have working knowledge of system networking, system redundancy, VoIP network architecture, multi-site system implementation, Unified Messaging, Call Center applications, creation of ARS dial plans, call routing, and trunk group setup.
- Will work directly with the System Implementation Specialist and customer on the initial setup and configuration of the system; ensure that all equipment, programming, and porting of phone numbers has been completed and that the customer is satisfied with service delivery.
- Verifies customer telco service by testing circuits, equipment, and troubleshooting system alarms; identifying, correcting, or escalating problems to higher level technician or reporting to the customer’s carrier.
- Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns, answering questions, and efficiently communicating through phone calls and email.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations. Operates company provided vehicles in a legal and safe manner at all times.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying truck stock; placing fulfillment orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in manufacturer training; will be able to assist with technical leadership for operations team; review technical publications.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: A positive customer service attitude and attention to detail are required. A strong and proven desire to learn and work in fast-paced, agile environments is also required. Two to three years of structured cabling experience with at least three years of telecommunications installation/service experience is required.
Requirements: Up to date Mitel /NEC, A+, or NET+ certifications are required. CCNT, A+, and NET+ are mandatory requirements for this position. CCNA and/or HP networking certifications are required. BICSI100 certification is preferred. General knowledge of electrical, electronic or telecommunications equipment, systems and applications as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field is required. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement.
Experience supporting: NEC 8100/8300/8500, Mitel MiVoice Office (5000), Mitel MiVoice Business (3300), Mitel Border Gateway, Mitel MiCollab (MAS), Mitel NuPoint, VoIP networks, Unified Messaging (UM), Call Center applications, advanced application servers, and data networking equipment is required.
Experience with the following protocols/technologies: VoIP, TCP/UDP, RTP, IP Ports, SMTP/POP/IMAP, SIP, VPN, MPLS, FTP, TFTP are preferred.
Experience using the following tools: Cable infrastructure installation tools (fishtape, Gopher Pole, punch tool, tone and wand, etc), Telephone Buttset, Cable Master Certification tool are required.
IP tools including: Wireshark, PuTTy, terminal emulation software, IP Phone Analyzer software, etc are required.
A valid driver’s license and driving record that meets Gibson Teldata’s minimum insurance standards are required.
If this position sounds like the next chapter of your professional life, send us your resume with a letter telling us what you are looking for in your career path. We look forward to talking to you.
Please forward resume to:
Last update: May 16, 2022